Thursday, August 31, 2006

Two months: renaissance

Two months to the day since my last visible activity here. Well, it's not like I haven't been busy. :-) Not likely to get any less busy, either.

Still, I've been feeling the burn of withdrawal. With all that's been happening in this small world of ours? Oh, my. So much I wish I'd had time to say.

I've been inspired to post today by the news that I have A Reader (!). It's too joyful an affirmation. One of these days I'll pass my next milestone and get a comment.

I haven't forgotten that I wanted to write about Baghdad ER because of my admiration for its lifesavers in the heart of destruction. In the meantime, the observation that I can't hold back is that the latest Arab-Israeli war isn't over; the middle phase in Lebanon is winding down, but the hostilities began with full-scale operations in Gaza, and Israel is "winning" that war, for now--most of the Hamas government taken into custody, total tactical control, and almost no media attention. The war started down there, with abductions; the kidnapping of a young Israeli soldier, which received a lot of media play--but not nearly so much as the abduction of a Palestinian doctor and his brother the day before, or the steady drumbeat of Palestinian casualties leading up to then. I resent the media conventional wisdom that the Israeli invasions of Gaza and Lebanon were sparked by Hamas and Hezbollah abductions. War isn't a proportionate response to kidnapping individuals.

All right, rant off. Thanks for reading!

2 Comments:

Blogger Altered Memories said...

I agree. It's not. That was so completley out-of-the-blue to me. I was really surprised at how fast things got bad.

Made Israel look really foolish.

November 04, 2006 10:06 PM  
Blogger Blake said...

"I was really surprised at how fast things got bad"--So was I.

And of course, Israel is *still* destroying Gaza.

November 04, 2006 11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home