Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Making peace with those "W -- The President" bumper stickers

Baghdad ER is much more important, but I just wanted to throw in this quick note first.

Up until two days ago, those square white-font-on-black-background bumper stickers put out by Spalding Group in 2004 that say "W -- The President" have always bugged the crap out of me. I mean, they just seemed so pointless.

We've got a gubernatorial election coming up here in Georgia, and dear Mr. Perdue has picked up on the idea and created bumper stickers that read, "Sonny -- Georgia's Governor." I thought, "Great--now the virus has spread!"

Then I thought about it a bit. The 2002 Georgia election, brought to you entirely and exclusively by Diebold, has been plagued by accusations of fraud, fueled by the precise reversal between polls taken at the election and the results: approximately 60-40 for Barnes and Cleland in the polls, followed by reported 60-40 results for Perdue and Chambliss. Sonny in 2006, like Bush in 2004, is serving under the cloud of a questionable result.

So the bumper stickers that simply link the man's name and his office, by my new way of thinking, implicitly recognize that the officeholder's legitimacy is in question, and feel the need to reply to it.

Okay, some people might call it a stretch, but it makes me feel better.

2 Comments:

Blogger Altered Memories said...

I like the way you think, Blake.

Sincerely,

Tanda, The Mom of three.

;0)

November 04, 2006 10:04 PM  
Blogger Blake said...

Thank you, Tanda! Now I just have to think (out loud) more often.

Thanks for giving me my first comment; I had to go fix some settings to enable it. :D

November 04, 2006 11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home